Saturday, November 04, 2006

John Denver Was Right


I've always loved John Denver. Never forget that day the news was showing his downed plane in the Pacific. One of my favorite songs was "Back Home Again."


"Hey it's good to be back home again. Sometimes this old farm feels like a long lost friend."

My travel life is not too bad, but it comes in spurts, and this fall is one of the big spurts. It's tough to be away. And it makes me sit in awe at how some men can be totally uninterested in being a dad when their kids are dying for face time. I just don't get that. You have to pull a major plug to disconnect from your kids. I just can't imagine it.

My dad was great at investing in me. I guess you often parent the way you were parented, and he was, thank God, a super example in that area.

My son just came up and said, "lap." He wants up here. He just got through eating "toast." His life is consumed in one word sentences. "Milk" ... "Eat" ... "Boon" (balloon) ... "Shide" (outside). It's a genuis concept, really. I think I should employ it more. Say one word, and people give you exactly what you want. Makes you think about our society's obsession with communication and marketing doesn't it? We say too much and achieve so little. Like ads on the radio ... every single one of them drive me nuts. They are unbelievably painful to the mind and ears.

One word sentences ... get what you want. Yep, that's where I'm headed. Ah, who am I kidding. I can't even think in one word sentences. Maybe Cole can learn that if you can't be bright, be brief!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home