Friday, January 06, 2006

Thrown In Head First


I just got back from Atlanta. To be candid, I hate Atlanta. Always have.

7 lanes in some places. You can't get anywhere in a short amount of time. Concrete everywhere. I just hate big cities. Nashville is far too big for me if you want to know the truth.

I was at the Archery Trade Association, the nation's largest archery trade show. Meeting with sponsors, working on new sponsorsihps, shakin' hands and pattin' backs. We've got some great sponsors. Check our our sponsors page - it's got some great links. If you love to hunt and fish!

You know, as a pastor, I spent 95% of my time in a world that was full of believers. I tried to make relationships with non-believers, but it's hard. Seriously. No excuses - but think about it - just how "friendly" can you get with the cashier at Kroger or the guy who changes your oil until they start thinking you're weird? I've got some relationships I've been developing with non-believers, maybe 4-5 people. Yet pastors are surrounded constantly by a believing crowd.

Now there are some pastors that spend more time with non-believers. Mostly, though, that's cold call visits to a house where they are just doing "visitation." I've never worked well that way. I seem to have a better impact when I take the time to cultivate a genuine relationshiop with a person.

I don't think anybody wants to feel like they are a targeted "project" for a church. But people don't mind being your friend.

It occured to me while at the ATA show that I am being thrown head first into a world dominated by non-believers. I dig that. I am basically a missionary to the outdoor community. And while it's ground that has been unmapped thusfar, I find it quite humbling that God has commissioned Outdoor Ministry Network to be conduit for His cause to this niche.

On the way back I put the finishing touches on a late season elk hunt in the high country of Colorado. Going in on horseback baby! Should be at least 2 feet of snow on the ground. It's through Bar H Outfitters. Randy and Jeanne Horne. Cowboy up come November!

Thought I'd throw in a pic of the biggest deer I've ever killed. He was mid-western monster. 14 pointer. Shot that brute with my bow at 12 yards - from the ground. Eyeball to eyeball. A true Hemmingway moment!



Today's my wife's birthday. H.B.D Sweetie. Michelle is 31!! And a mom, too. A good one.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home