Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Montana Reflections


William Johnson, Montana Church Planter and Northwest US OMN Field Rep reports on his season ...

As a hunter, even though we say that we just like to get out, it is always nice to fill a tag and take a picture of a successful hunt. I have to say this season, I did not have a lot of pictures to brag about. A small whitetail doe was meat in the freezer and that was it until two days before season closed when I took my first cow elk. I had spent most of my year chasing a moose, a once in a lifetime tag. I walked a lot of miles, saw a lot of beautiful country, and even saw 13 moose. That was incredible in itself. However, that bull tag remains in my dresser drawer.

So without something to brag of, how could this have been my best season? For the first time, my wife decided that she wanted to try hunting. So, with the purchase of some camo that fit her, a couple of trips to the shooting range, and the arrangement of babysitters, we were set. Season started out with a September moose hunt. We hiked all day in territory we had never been in and hunting something we had no idea how to hunt. Teresa enjoyed the beauty but quickly realized that hunting could be very tiring.

Opening day of waterfowl season was rather uneventful. With bluebird skies and no wind, the birds were just not decoying very well. The first shot of the season saw a single goose plummet from the air almost hitting Teresa in the head. After a large thud in front of her and a near miss of her head, there was no napping to take place in the blind that morning. A single duck fell later in the morning and the only other shots were at a group of geese that came by. We both emptied our guns to no avail, but as my hunting buddy tells me, there is no prayer unless there is steel in the air. Hopefully we can do that again when we have better weather.

Our next adventure was antelope hunting. I wanted her to get an antelope so bad. After searching and walking for hours, we finally found the antelope. Upon taking a guess of where a small group was heading, we quickly made our way to a fence line and moved quickly to get in place. Almost in position, a head appeared on the horizon. Getting close to the ground and being very still, 15 other heads came into view moving quickly in our direction. Soon, 16 antelope were standing 250 yards away just across the fence. For an eternity, or at least 30 minutes, we waiting motionless as they grazed along. Then a doe crossed the fence followed by the remainder of the group. In the middle was a really nice buck.

In order to get a closer shot, we watched the antelope graze another hour until all were out of sight or so we thought. Once again, we started our crawling to get over the hill and start our next stalk. After almost two intense hours, a wary doe made us and the hunt was quickly putting distance between us. The intensity, crawling, and motionlessness made Teresa realize just how tough an antelope hunt could be. What a great hunt, but it may be a while before Teresa decides to pursue the speed goat again.

I assured her that the tough hunts were over. Our next hunt was to be for deer. On our friends’ ranch just west of us, there are lots of whitetails. We had the ranch to ourselves the first two days of gun season. I assured Teresa that the only reason she would not leave with a deer that opening day is because she missed.

We sat patiently behind our natural bush blind for a while seeing deer at a distance only. Finally, a doe appeared. Being her first deer, a healthy doe would be a trophy. Thinking the doe was crossing near me, I had her to take a few steps to her right when the doe had her head down. Upon getting closer, she changed her direction and started right to the side Teresa would have been sitting. In order to get a shot, Teresa was going to have to move again. As the doe passed behind a bush, I told her to move back. Kneeling beside her, I turned to my right, and she turned to her left. Watching for the deer, she accidentally stepped on the gun sling, tripping herself up and starting to fall. Being the nearest thing to her, she reached to stabilize herself on me not a good idea. I toppled over, the gun barrel got stuck in the mud and Teresa stepped on it, and then fell on me. The deer of course bounced out in the field confused as could be. It stopped and Teresa said, "Can I shoot it?" Frantically trying to unplug the gun barrel with a stick, I resolved that it was useless. I had to unload the gun and blow the mud down the barrel. By this time the deer was long gone.

Looking back, this was very amusing. At the time, Teresa had already come to this conclusion as she sat with her head buried in her coat, trying to hide her laughter. I assured her that no deer would come while the bushes around were laughing.

After settling back in, more time passed without deer. Then straight ahead, just as if planned, I saw a deer come over the rise it was a buck - a good buck! Teresa got ready as the deer fed out in the field. I told her to be patient that he would come closer. A short time passed and the buck closed the distance to the fence line just 20 yards away. The sun was setting making this beautiful animal glow in the light. Stopping at the fence, I whispered for her to shoot. Silence filled the air. What is she waiting on? I thought to myself. It turned and moved to the left, still standing broadside. I was whispering, "Shoot-shoot-shoot."

I can't see him, she said. . I could not understand. The buck turned and walked down the fence line, coming closer to us. At that time I realized she could not see the wide open deer because her gun was shaking so bad…BUCK FEVER! I reached under her arm and took hold of the forearm on the gun.

He turned and moved back to the trail that comes under the fence. His head went down and then back up. I told her to wait. Down again and this time under the fence…this buck was going to walk right by us at less than 10 yards! I told her to wait until he stopped. Finally he stopped. "SHOOT!" I whispered at the top of my lungs. There was silence and then, BOOM! The 7mm-08 rang out and the buck loped over the fence and into the brush. Teresa was shaking so bad. I was sorry she missed it but what an exciting hunt.

After settling down, Teresa admitted that she had no idea that buck fever actually existed. Experience quickly made a believer. I assured her that this was only the first day of a five week season and we would try again.

We returned to the blind to see numerous other deer. A forkhorn popped out of the brush with three does. There's a buck, I said. In amazement, I watched the four deer trot by just yards away. It was at that moment that I knew she had been bit. Its not the big one - I want the big buck, Teresa said. It was like a drag car going from zero to 300 in a quarter of a mile. Teresa went from not knowing if she like hunting to horn hunting in one evening.

Disappointed but excited, we returned home with anticipation of the next day. Upon arriving at the ranch, we were greeted with 75+ deer in the hay fields. We borrowed our friend's truck and drove to the top of the field. There beside the hay bin was another doe. Teresa stalked it and got a shot but missed. She was getting frustrated. I told her it was okay, that was a hard shot offhand.

Then the tide turned. On our way to our stand, we had to drive across a dike near the river. To the left was a river bottom where whitetails loved to hang out. Seeing what I thought was a head in the bushes, I told Teresa to get ready. I circled the brush and surprised two deer. Through the brush and across the creek they shot. Watching Teresa, it seemed an eternity. Then I saw the smoke and heard the boom. I made my way to her and she exclaimed that she thought she hit one. After describing how it acted, I knew the carefulness she took to aim had paid off. After following the direction she told me it took for just a short ways, we found the pronounced blood trail and shortly after found the deer. What a shot! Her first deer!

As season progressed, so did the look for the buck. The last day Teresa would be able to hunt, we saw a nice buck and we know he will be better next year. But once again, Teresa showed her marksmanship when she filled her last tag with a big fat whitetail doe. That deer did not know what hit it. A pass through shot, text book in position through both lungs, that doe flopped a few times and that was it…Teresa's second deer in her first year. I hunted several years before I killed two deer in one season so you can imagine how proud I am of her.

Now I told a detailed story of my hunting season, or at least part of it. Why was it the best? I got to do one thing that I have such a passion for with the one person I have such a passion for. My wife is a great hunter and a great partner. She has experienced the ups and downs, the joys and the frustrations of that great hobby that her husband is addicted to. I passed up some beautiful bucks to try to let her get a shot at one and I do not regret one missed opportunity. I had so much fun watching her have fun and experience something that she has never experienced. However, I think I have created a monster. Only extended season is now open and she is asking for more tags. Buck fever is still alive and she has it bad. I am looking forward to next year already. I know she is going to connect with “the one that got away” and after that, I know I will be home watching the kids while she is out chasing those horns. This has truly been my best season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home