Monday, May 08, 2006

Men: The Forgotten Audience

So I really want to know your thoughts here. And should you read this blog, and not respond, I'm internalizing a spiritual virus for your computer that will go out automatically!!!

I do actually want to know you feelings on this issue:

Every single day, or there about, I get a phone call or email from somewhere in the nation from people wanting to reach men. And that cranks my tractor. Yet I have some serious questions, and I want your thoughts.

For years I've heard preachers rant and rave that the "men" should be stepping up. Serving. Doing God's work. Loving Jesus. Being an example. All that stuff. I agree.

I'm not going to preach here. I'm just stating some observations from years of church service. Some of these were mistakes I actually made, so this isn't complaining as much as it is "educated confession."

When I look around at the church, here's what I see:

1 - Churches are decorated for women and by women. Nothing appeals to the man's eye when he walks in the door

2 - Worship services are built around words like, "have an imtimate relationship with Jesus." Now I'm not playing word games here, but come on, if that is a stretch for me, a seminary educated fella, then how does that translate to Mack's ears who works in construction? Seriously. Think about it.

3 - When preachers talk about "areas where you can serve God" - it usually has to do with either teaching a bible study, or working in the nursery. Now I'm an author. I talk with publishers all the time. We all know that men aren't huge readers. Which means that as a pastor, we're asking guys to commit to reading more (not gonna happen) or somehow gain the desire to change diapers. (really not gonna happen).

And then as preachers we'll scream that if they don't love those 2 things, they don't love God.

I think guys should help with nursery. I do. That's just part of being a servant. But it is NOT a call to ministry. That's a call to serve and help out.

So I think ministry has been narrowly defined and wrongly represented to men all together.

*** why is it that when I threw out the call for chainsaw relief efforts for Hurricane Katrina, I had men climbing the pews to get in on it?? They took vacation to do it. Hint. Hint.

4 - Churches want men there, but they won't lay down the coin to see it happen. If you want to reach men, you must spend the money. You must do things that speak of testostrone.

5 - We want to reach men, but we are not willing to do the things to make it happen. We want to reach them, but on our terms. Again, nursery, teaching sunday school, nursing home visitation, be a deacon. Etc.

We've got a serious epidemic on our hands with lack of male presence in today's churches. Promise Keepers and George Barna have told us that for years now.

In fact, Barna reports that when the man is a believer and in church, over 80% of the families of those men are rooted in a church as well.

When a man is not saved or marginally committed to church life, only 13% of those families are in a church.

Hint. Hint. Hint.

If you want to keep families rooted in Kingdom work, go after the man! Keep his fire hot. Make him feel relevant, needed, challenged, accepted; and give him things that speak his language.

Why is it that we all will agree that men are the missing demographic in most churches, and yet all we do is complain and condemn them over it????

So here's what I want to know:

what has your church done, or is honestly going to do, for men?

I'm not asking a loaded question. I really want to know your insights, failures, successes, etc.

4 Comments:

At 8:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our experiences in church have been similar. Ask men to teach at VBS, and you'll get a handful. When we sent a team to Louisiana to cut up trees and help with hurricane clean-up, men were lining up to go. We have the same result on yearly mission trips that we take that deal with construction projects.

One thing that I've always thought would be a great idea would be an African safari/mission trip. Shoot impala and kudu in the mornings and share the Gospel in the afternoon. The price would likely be horrific, but I still like the idea and want to try and put one together.

JD Huitt
Three Timbers Outdoors

 
At 10:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our church has a "Disaster Response Team" complete with a painted truck and utility trailers. They travel all over and work "when disaster strikes"...tornadoes, floods, fires, etc. I read the "thank you's" from those they've helped in our bulletin all the time. Men can either travel and work or they can donate tools and equipment. It appears to be a large, flourishing mens' ministry for our church. We also have a Habitat for Humanity roofing team, but I think several churches do that. Just wanted to pitch what makes us special.

 
At 7:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once read a statement where the author said, "Men experience discipleship - they don't learn it." I think it supports what we are all saying here. It's not that a guy should not develop his mind through study of the word; he should It's just he's more apt to go cut up trees for Christ than join a small group. Somehow, though, we've got to make that small group as attractive as an "experience."

 
At 5:31 AM, Blogger Yehuda said...

Although I understand what your are saying I disagree with the approach to solving the situation with men. At our church we have a successful Men's Ministry (please see My Homepage at http://yehudas-home-page.blogspot.com/). The problem lies in man himself. Adam sinned while Eve was deceived. Today we see the same in the world around us (men are the ones overwhelmingly wind up in prison as comparred to women). While men show up to social events at church, many will come because of their wives or to seek a girlfried). In the end, it is the Holy Spirit who draws men nigh unto Himself. I enjoy your blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home