Saturday, April 01, 2006

Roll On Mississippi


Took my second Mississippi tom this week. Shot him at 12:55pm. Had been on him for 5 hours.

Today the Tennessee season opened up. Dad & I were filming together. We had a total of 4 toms come near at one time or another. They are just totally henned up right now, and you know, it's the same in Mississippi.


Each day will produce more and more action as toms start to break up.

So here's what I want to do.

For the next 40 days or so turkey season will be going on throughout the nation. And I know that many of you who read this are avid tom chasers.


Why don't we post our thoughts, in real time, as to what birds are doing. If you kill at tom, post it here. Send me a picture and I'll post it.

And tell us what you did that gave you the opportunity to sling some heavy shot toward his red head!!I think guys everywhere would like to talk about what the birds are doing. So help a brotha' out!

Tell us what's going on in your neck of the woods!

3 Comments:

At 5:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fellow Tom Addicts,

I've noticed the birds here in TN were flocked up too. Yesterday we went and saw several toms, close range, but they just wanting nothing to do with us. Even light calling would start the boss hen to assembly yelp and she'd just move the other direction.

I think maybe it's going to be a situation where you just set up in a high traffic area and wait - at least until they break up some.

 
At 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Missouri Update: Our youth season was this past week. Saturday was cold, windy and dead. Not much gobbling. Sunday was awesome. We went before church and heard the most gobbling that I have ever heard in my entire life. Everyone that I talked to said the same thing. Also had one of our guys successfully film an 8 year old kid killing his first bird.

We're thinking that the turkeys are hitting the first gobbling peak right now. By the time the regular season rolls around in 2 weeks, I'm hoping that most of the hens are bred and the gobblers are getting fired up again.

Heading to Oklahoma this weekend. I'll post another update after I get back.

JD Huitt
Three Timbers Outdoors

 
At 11:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Went to northeast Oklahoma this past week (4/12-4/13). The birds were henned up something fierce but we still managed to throw down on one on film (which was also the wierdest hunt that I've ever seen in my life). Everyone down there said that the turkeys weren't gobbling as good as they had been, but we still heard quite a bit.

JD Huitt
Three Timbers Outdoors

 

Post a Comment

<< Home