Saturday, March 04, 2006

Watch Out For A Moose ... And A Guy Named James

Just got back from Idaho. Went there to speak at a Wild Game Dinner. Bonners Ferry, Idaho. Right up about 30 minutes from the Canada line. Let me tell you bro, that is one long flight from The Music City. I speak at wild game dinners all across the nation, and this time of year I get slammed because most churches are holding their events between January - March.

So get this. I go to leave this morning from Idaho, and Theresa, the pastor's wife, tells me, "Watch out for Moose in the morning when you leave." It just hit me hard and funny ... I don't think I've ever heard those words. I've heard watch for deer; cows in the road, horses, drunk drivers. But never "watch for Moose." It got me thinking ... should I collide with one of those, my Hertz Ford Explorer would most likely lose!

I board my plane in Spokane at ... yes ... 7:30 am; meaning that I had to leave Idaho at 4am. Fly to Oakland, and then connect non-stop from there to Nashville. It was then that I met James.

Oh how I wish I'd had one of my camera men with me. You talk about a reality show.

Flying Southwest, you know that you line up in rows A, B, or C. Well I always board online the night before so I can get line A. First on the plane.

So I step on board, and sure enough, I strike pure country gold. There's an empty seat in the front row, and on a 4 hour flight, that means something when it comes to leg room.

I sit down, and my man James begins conversing immediately. No problem; I'm a talker for sure. Yet before the first few syllables could hit my ears, the alcohol hit my nose. 10:30 am Oakland time, and James was already on the sauce.
Nice guy though. Except that he looked like Dave Chappelle, and talked like Richard Pryor. I have to admit, there were times he was funny. And the most hilarious part of all was that he literally ... literally ... never stopped talking for 4 1/2 hours. Even when I had my iPod and headphones on, James was ... literally ... talking to himself. I laughed constantly, even through my George Strait, George Jones, and Bob Seger.

Somewhere over Colorado, James clutches his carry on bag, and pulls out ... literally ... The Tasmanian Devil. A stuffed Taz with a boxing glove on his right hand. For his ailing Aunt who apparently was dying. He told me that he was going to give it to his Aunt to remind her to fight to live when he's not around. A man of heart was James. I admired him for that.

Somewhere over Oklahoma James leaned over to me and said, "Do you know what you got to have to make it in this world?" "Tell me James," I said. "You've got to have 3 things. You got to have love in yo' heart. A smile on 'yo face. And a dolla' in 'yo pocket."

Yep. I get up tomorrow morning at 5am and head to south Florida to begin our filming for this turkey season. I've got love in my heart, a tired smile on my face ... and a dollar in my pocket just for James.

4 Comments:

At 9:39 AM, Blogger Gordon said...

This is great. You have a really cool blog. I will be back.

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Jason Cruise said...

Gordon, thanks for the encouragement my man!

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Clif Cummings said...

Jason,
We are hosting our first "Sportsman's Feast" with Phil Robertson ("The Duck Commander" on March 30. We also are launching a Sportsman's Bible Class on April 2 to hopefully have a venue for non-churched men to come.
I would be interested in any rescources and insights you have as we start this "out of the box" adventure.
Pastor Clif Cummings
First Baptist
Duncan, Oklahoma
cummings@firstduncan.org

 
At 5:45 AM, Blogger Jason Cruise said...

Cliff ... Helping churches is what we do. All day every day!

I'll email you.

We definitely have resources that are designed to help you get it done in the outdoor ministry arena.

Check out our "MINISTRY RESOURCES" page at our website:

http://www.outdoorministrynetwork.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home