Thursday, February 16, 2006

Hooked

I'm meeting today with a few guys about a Bass Fishing Tournament.

We are going to host a tournament this summer as a fund raiser for our ministry. I fly fish, so bass fishing is not my gig. So I'm getting some of my top notch cronies to help me out.

One of my pals is Tony Sellars. He's a professional bass tournament angler, and started a TV show and ministry years ago called Anglers for Christ. You can see him if you have Direct TV or Dish Network. Even cable, too.

I've also got my buddy Daryl Welch helping me out, and some fellas that are pastors from Grace Baptist Church in Tullahoma, TN, where I grew up. We'll host it in June at Tims Ford Lake. I grew up on that lake, and it's well known throughout the South for Smallmouth. It's clean, deep water, and a big lake for sure.

My reason for having it down in Tullahoma is simple:

1 - I have a lot of contacts down there
2 - There's 3 major lakes in that area, so there's tons of anglers
3 - I've had a lifelong dream of sharing the gospel with my hometown. All of it.

Last night it hit me. I've always wanted to share the gospel in a "mass population" way to my hometown, and it occurred to me that this would do that. By the time we set up the website, do the marketing and promotion, and all that jazz, we'll get the message of Christ out to that entire multi-county area.

I think I'll pull in my buddies Jeff & Ben at LifeWay Special Projects to help, too. They help people in the faith world, especially churches, with "special projects." Just like this. I might get them to do a keychain, or some other smaller prizes I can give out, as promo tools. They are really good at that.

I've never done this, but I know it has worked well for organizations who've done it under the same pretense. I think the key is to run a first class event. I do know how to do that. I've got the contacts in the outdoor world to do it. We'll pay some great prize money, which should draw a crowd. And we'll go all out with atmosphere, door prizes, participant packages, food, etc.

I'm going to swing for the fence. I've got some celebrity contacts in the county music industry that I'll going to try and work out to come and make celeb appearances.

I'm thinking about calling it "HOOKED."

Reason being, most bass tourneys are always including the term "CLASSIC." So I thought I'd go with:

HOOKED
not the average bass tournament

On a different note, we finally got our caps. I think they look cool. We've got a lot coming at us this year. Need your prayers. Serious about that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home